setting up a file hierarchy

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Tue May 19 18:03:47 BST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 05:19:16PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 04:50:06PM +0100, Chisel Wright wrote:
> > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 04:33:06PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > I'll pay attention when it doesn't rely on Module::Install.
> > Should I ask why?
>
> Would you like to install mandatory pre-requisite Foo::Bar for this
> 'ere module what you told the comptuer to install? Y/n

I think we're supposed to believe that everyone somehow knows to set
the correct environment variable to deal with this.  The environment
variable exists, and it's documented.  And we should all somehow find
the right documentation, and if we consider it sufficiently annoying,
patch the code or stop whining about backwards incompatibility.

I worry about things like Modern Perl and Enlightened Perl, not
because I want to remain stuck in the past, but because I worry about
how we convey fundamental changes to Perl users outside our clique.

Sometimes the word "Schumpeter" sounds like an elephant trampling
everyone to death.

Sorry, I don't have any constructive advice here other than that the
constructive advice we offer should remain helpful in future, lest we
eventualy alienate those we briefly appeal to.

We've taught people how to use CPAN, then thrown away our credibility
with Module::Install.  Please replace the elephant, and grope it
again.  I feel fortunate to belong with the in-crowd that can ask the
right people for help.  Consequently, I've managed to make
Module::Install behave how I want.  People outside our clique won't
know who to ask and won't readily get such helpful answers.

Tom