Genius plan for the website!

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:02:58 BST 2009

On 3 Jul 2009, at 12:32, Edmund von der Burg wrote:

> Here is my cunning plan to regain the inner beauty:
>
>  1) wget -r the current site to a bunch of static files

We have a bunch of static files. The whole thing is generated from xml.

>  2) tedious finding of repeated text replacing them with
> Template::Toolkit [% INCLUDE ... %]

How about replacing them with <!-- #include ... -->  instead? I know
we're a perl website, but lets be pragmatic and not go overkill.

>  3) tiny, simple, bulletproof script to take templates and generate
> html pages

Unnecessary

>  4) tiny, simple, bulletproof script to take html and upload it to
> server

Unnecessary

> 5) dump all templates and scripts into github (or whatever)

That bit's easy

>  6) err - that's it!

If you still have a 'build' step, it's horribly wrong.

> Any volunteers or am I going to have to do it all myself?

/me steps back, has enough to do.

--James