Mailing lists - was Re: Beer Festival, Edgar Wallace, TOMORROW, Thursday 2009-07-16

Ben Evans ben at
Sat Jul 18 10:27:35 BST 2009

Andrew Black wrote:
> Léon Brocard wrote:
>> 2009/7/17 James Laver <james.laver at>:
>>> Our glorious leader prefers only to announce socials and techmeets,
>>> hence why I posted it to this list only.
> I think there is scope for a social list
> Not moderated and where you can post emergency socials, informal meets
> and so on.

We're a social lot and always have been. AFAIC, the main list, plus
announce is where these types of announcements belong.

>> Emails posted to the -announce list also go to other non-Perl announce
>> lists. We shouldn't spam them too often.
> Indeed. The main issue I am aware is that announce -> gllug-social
> list where it raises hackles from anti perl brigade.

Why would a "social" group not want to be informed of relevant, and
usually very pleasant pubmeets?

If they don't think it's relevant ot their interests, they can always unsub.