Cheap perl e-books

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Wed Aug 26 13:32:09 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Jonathan
McKeown<jonathan at scatterlings.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 August 2009 01:05:49 Andrew Smith wrote:
>>[...]illegal  downloaded pdf's[...]
>>
>> He sees them, even if you only look
>> before buying the book as totally wrong and a criminal offence.
>
> s/He/Copyright law in most countries/
>
> T,FTFY. HTH, HAND.

To take pedantry to whole new levels, I'm not sure copyright prevents
someone *looking* at it, say if you looked over the shoulder of
someone who had it on their screen. Copyright gives the author
exclusive rights to distribute it. The actual act of downloading -
does that constitute copying? Is the downloader or the site owner
responsible for the copy?

It's interesting that a certain well-known .ua site continues to
distribute O'Reilly texts and I haven't read anything about O'Reilly
doing anything to stop it.

Paul