Denny 2009 at
Thu Sep 17 19:43:39 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 19:10 +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Talking of sip, does anyone have recommendations for consumer voip services?

I'm using, at a friend's recommendation.  I only signed up
last month and I don't use it heavily, so I can't say much beyond 'it
works and it was easy to set up'.

> Ideally I'd like something I can make (direct dial) calls from on my
> laptop+headset and it'd appear as a e.g. UK mobile.

Yup, does that.

> And take calls on that number

Does that.

> perhaps ringing another mobile as well as the laptop.

I think it does that.  It definitely does forwarding, not sure about
simultaneous ringing.  It also emails you your answerphone messages,
which is quite neat.

> Extra points for having the ability to select the 'from' address I.e. appear
> as a US number.

Fairly sure they don't allow this - I had to put in my address to get a
'regional' number.