Skype

Steve Mynott steve at gruntling.com
Sun Sep 20 08:28:37 BST 2009

A possible Skype replacement is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizmo5

which at least uses SIP but is still proprietary.

I prefer it to Skype but noone uses it and it suffers from
lack of the network effect being a classic example of a technology
which should be the market leader but isn't.

It's at least possible to call 1-800s free which is useful for customer
service sometimes.  Recently it was possible to call Skype but only
for five minutes on the free service.

Also I've used it with Sipdroid on the G1 to make VOIP calls via wifi,
something which isn't possible with the G1 Skype client which uses
telephone calls.

--
Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com>