Credit Cards

Robert Shiels robert at se71.org
Tue Oct 13 13:27:54 BST 2009

further to recent discussions, I think there are people here who might
be able to give me and  answer to a question I have that I can't fine
through browsing.

I tried to buy something through play.com last week, and they want my
credit card details. Along with the usual dates and numbers, they are
also insisting on a date of birth, and a landline telephone number? For
security reasons.

I dislike giving online retailers any more information than I have to -
do they really need this? Will other companies be following suit and so
refusing is just me playing Canute? Will the CC company verify these
details (not sure if I've even given them my phone number.) - I'm of the
opinion that play.com are just data mining.

Thanks
/Robert