domain registrars

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sat Oct 24 20:59:34 BST 2009

James Laver writes:

> When my domains come up for renewal, I'll be looking to switch to
> someone else.

It may be easier to switch now, than at/near renewal time.  The transfer
process is different for different domain extensions.

For any .uk domains switch them straight away: find out the IPS Tag
(Nominet unique ID) of your new registrar and tell your existing
registrar to move your domains to it.  That will update the central
Nominet database, and your new registar now has control.  At that point
you'll need to create an account with the new registrar, so that _you_
have control.

But the new registrar won't charge at this point, only when the domain
comes round for renewal, 2 years after your previous payment for it.
(Well, some registrars might charge at this point.  But avoid them --
there are plenty who don't.)

Also note that some domain extensions have restrictions on transferring
domains that are close to renewal.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2