git vs mercurial

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Tue Nov 10 08:11:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Ash Berlin <ash_cpan at firemirror.com> wrote:

> My understanding is both are excellent choices: git has more mind share in
> perl and other OSS communities

Edmund: If you're a Perl shop then switching to Git is a good idea for
just this reason.  Things you might want to know:

a) Perl itself is hosted with Git [1] and mirrored to GitHub [2]
b) Major projects like Moose are also hosted in git
c) Tools like Git::CPAN::Patch [3] allow you to 'gitify' any module on
CPAN. I'm not sure there's similar tools for mercurial (I'm sure they
wouldn't be hard to write, but they don't exist yet)

Under the same logic you'll probably want to use Git if you use Ruby too.

Note this is a purely "What everyone else is doing" argument.  You may
want to also consider features of the systems as well!

Mark.

[1] http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git
[2] http://github.com/github/perl
[2] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Git-CPAN-Patch/