New www.perl.org site

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Nov 13 16:03:53 GMT 2009

On 13 Nov 2009, at 15:23, Chris Devers wrote:
[...]
> Not to be contrarian, but is there any particular reason why random
> bits of text in the main banner need to be Flash assets rather than an
> open format like PNG or -- gosh -- text+CSS?

It's sIFR:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIFR

Basically, it's a trick where some JavaScript replaces certain text
with a specific magic class) with Flash objects merely so that the
font can be changed. Demanded by the Powerpoint and Photoshop set, and
everybody else just couldn't care less that the text follows corporate
branding guidelines, at least until it crashes their browser.

I note that the sIFR on perl.org degrades gracefully when faced with
FlashBlock, which is nice and shows somebody had a bout of common
sense. (It's nonsense like sIFR that had me install FlashBlock in the
first place.)