New www.perl.org site

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Fri Nov 13 21:18:28 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Leo Lapworth <leo at cuckoo.org> wrote:
> 2009/11/13 Chris Devers <cdevers at pobox.com>
>> Not to be contrarian, but is there any particular reason why random
>> bits of text in the main banner need to be Flash assets rather than an
>> open format like PNG or -- gosh -- text+CSS?

> We wanted to
>
> 1) be able to easily change the message on the home page (it rotates between
> two at the moment, but we can add more later and use for other sites, e.g.
> dbi.perl.org)
> 2) use a non-web font

You mean you kept you eye on the prize of a nice looking and
functional website that gave the best experience to the majority of
users rather than instead of priotising some side issue to do with the
"correctness of using flash" that threatened to undermine the very
improvements to the design that you were attempting?

Goodness me, whatever next?  I should keep quiet about this if I was
you, because if people hear that you can actually get things done
rather than getting entrenched in the prevailing mindset that's
holding back improvements, a whole bunch of work will be coming your
way.

> 3) work with non-flash browers [in degrated mode]

And you didn't throw out the baby with the bathwater too.  Commendable.

Well done.

Mark.