New www.perl.org site

Leo Lapworth leo at cuckoo.org
Fri Nov 13 16:02:55 GMT 2009

2009/11/13 Chris Devers <cdevers at pobox.com>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
> >
> > For those who've not seen it elsewhere, congratulations to our very own
> Leo
> > Lapworth and the guys at Foxtons for the shiny redesign of www.perl.org.
> >
> > Nice work Leo. Thank you !
>
> Not to be contrarian, but is there any particular reason why random
> bits of text in the main banner need to be Flash assets rather than an
> open format like PNG or -- gosh -- text+CSS?
>
> Here's how the page looks with ClickToFlash installed on a Mac:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/4100134153/
>
> The page goes back to normal after clicking through the CTF filter:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/4100890522/

We wanted to

1) be able to easily change the message on the home page (it rotates between
two at the moment, but we can add more later and use for other sites, e.g.
dbi.perl.org)
2) use a non-web font
3) work with non-flash browers

The site uses  sIFR. If you didn't have flash installed then you would see
HTML+CSS. sIFR take the HTML and renders it in the font of choice.

So we do degrade nicely if you don't have Flash or are a search engine.

Cheers

Leo