Help me become a Londoner!

Gianni Ceccarelli dakkar at thenautilus.net
Thu Nov 19 11:20:34 GMT 2009

Hi all!

I'll be starting a job (permanent position) in London at the beginning
of January. I have until then to:

- find an apartment (renting, I think)
- open a bank account
- set up all utilities, and an ADSL
- move some of my stuff from Pisa

Now, since I know very little about how these things are done in the
UK, I turn to the collective wisdom of london.pm for help. I will be
in London (staying at a friend's) during most of December.

Some questions I have:

- can anyone recommend some agencies (or other methods) to search for
  the apartment?
- which areas should I be looking around, for a largish (60m²)
  apartment for under £800/month, within a half-hour commute (by
  train?) to the centre?
- is there a no-interest, no-fees, everything-on-the-web bank that can
  be trusted (at least a bit :) ) with my money?
- anything else a foreigner really ought to know?

TIA

--
	Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
	GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

I develop for Linux for a living, I used to develop for DOS.
Going from DOS to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.
(By entropy at world.std.com, Lawrence Foard)