Domain acquisition

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Dec 14 17:18:23 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 08:52 -0800, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> > But what is the etiquette in these situations? I'd rather not reveal to them
> > to what extent my friend is interested in the domains. To hide that I have
> > to go through aliases or proxies. Which feels just a bit sordid, somehow...
>
> 1) Offer more money.  No reason to reveal who the real buyer is or what the domain is for.
>
> 2) Consider if the recipient is actually getting your message (assuming they're not responding).  There was an unused domain we wanted where we offered $1000 (or something like that) but never got a response.   Some time later the domain expired and we could get it for $70 or some such from the registrar that controlled the almost-deleted domain.

There is also the possibility that they know that replying to any
expressions of interest at all may result in the an increased risk of
the domain being snatched through whatever systems the registry has in
place to deal with abusive registrations (a process that can be and is
abused to steal domain registrations).

I occasionally receive emails asking about one of my domains and I never
reply to them in any way whatsoever. I do, however, renew them to keep
them.