Looking for a Perl development position in London

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Feb 4 17:51:10 GMT 2010

On 4/2/10 16:29, Raphael Mankin wrote:
> It's 9 months of full salary more expensive to hire a woman who gets
> pregnant, takes her full maternity leave and then decides not to return
> to work.

Actually, an employer is only obligated by law to pay statutory
maternity pay. There is a legal obligation to maintain all terms and
conditions *except* pay. http://bit.ly/dCtgpd

It's up to the employer what other benefits they offer, e.g. full salary
for 6 months, followed half salary for 6 months is reasonably typical in
my experience but there's no requirement that I know of under law to do so.

As I understand it, it would be legally acceptable to frame an
employment contract that pays nothing other than statutory maternity
pay, which can be recovered from the government anyway.

Whether that would be a sound business decision in the age of social
media networks is left as an exercise for the reader :-)

S.