Fun Friday afternoon topic: domain name disputes

mirod mirod at xmltwig.com
Fri Feb 5 14:21:11 GMT 2010

Dominic Thoreau wrote:
> On 5 February 2010 13:29, mirod <mirod at xmltwig.com> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what she can do about it though. It seems like the only
>> solution is to go to court, and there have been very few cases that went to
>> trial.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion on the course of action that might best get
>> results? I fully understand that not everyone here is a lawyer (and the
>> ones who are probably wouldn't admit it ;--), but maybe someone has been in
>> that situation before.
>
> I work for a domain registry.
>
> Our default policy on this sort of thing is to encourage the two parties
> involved to resolve the dispute themselves. If they can't do this, they're
> free to and fight at WIPO - who are very very slow to do anything.

The problem in this case is that there is really no incentive for the other
party do do much, beyond lowering their price to try to get some money instead
of getting nothing. It's not like that domain would be of use to any one except
my friend.

Oddly enough though, the price they are asking seems to be more than the cost of
filing a complaint at WIPO.

--
mirod