Fun Friday afternoon topic: domain name disputes

Mark Overmeer mark at
Fri Feb 5 14:02:59 GMT 2010

* Dominic Thoreau (dominic at [100205 13:46]:
> On 5 February 2010 13:29, mirod <mirod at> wrote:
>> I am not sure what she can do about it though. It seems like the only
>> solution is to go to court, and there have been very few cases that
>> went to trial.

> Our default policy on this sort of thing is to encourage the two
> parties involved to resolve the dispute themselves.
> If they can't do this, they're free to and fight at WIPO - who are
> very very slow to do anything.

Same for the Dutch TLD (.nl) : they refuse to play a role in these
disputes and leave it to lawsuits... where it ends-up quite often,
afaik. Difficult when the hijacker of the domain and the owner of the
trademark live in different countries.

       Mark at                          solutions at