Solid state drives

Mark Zealey mspam at itsolve.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 17:46:13 BST 2010

For reference; we used some corsair drives which lasted two months on a high
load server (lots of small writes/erases). I'd also imagine that the -E
(http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/extreme/index.htm) variety of X25's are
better than even the never -M ones; and also quite a bit more pricy. I imagine
it mostly a case of looking to what your database does though; if its mostly
read-only or occasion big writes (ie blocks of 512k) then you'll be using the
ssd ideally so perhaps 5 years is realistic. A lot of this should be tunable
with your database server anyway.

If you're just doing tonnes of writes, which is probably the main reason you'd
want an ssd at the moment (as you can get 64gb memory reasonably cheaply and
use that to cache the disk) then I'd still be cautious using them. In
particular; don't think that by having 2 servers in master/failover master
replication you'll avoid issues as if you are performing the same ops on both
machines then you'll be wearing the ssd's at the same rate.

FusionIO also looks very interesting - much faster and supposidly longer
lasting, however 2-3* the price. For some stats w/ mysql
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2010/04/08/fast-ssd-or-more-memory/

Mark