Solid state drives

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Apr 20 09:08:10 BST 2010

On 19/04/10 16:00, Chris Jack wrote:

> Because it's been discussed previously on this list, I thought I
> might draw your attention to the newish generation of SSDs:

>  I'm not qualified to say
> if they are reliable enough for production databases - but I would be
> interested in opinions.

You might find it useful to rummage through the PostgreSQL mailing-list
archives.

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/

The general opinion there is that the affordable systems are all a bit
vague on the subject of write-caching and what they guarantee in the
event of a power outage.

Having said that, there are clearly plenty of applications where
power-failure isn't an overriding worry. Index tablespace is an obvious
usage, as is temporary table/sort storage.

--
   Richard Huxton