Solid state drives

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Apr 20 17:27:31 BST 2010

On 20/4/10 16:52, David Cantrell wrote:
> Very few people live in areas with flaky power, at least in the UK.

I had a 5 minute power cut in SE26 two weeks ago and a cut lasting about
an hour in EC1 10 days ago.

It's not what I'd call flaky in the sense of regular issues but enough
that I'm glad I had battery backup in both locations.

> Consequently most people wouldn't ever bother with a UPS as it's a waste
> of money.  And in the years between buying it and actually needing it,
> you can bet that the battery will have died.

This is very true. I stopped using a cheap UPS at home for exactly this
reason. Test it regularly or it's not worth it.

> Not, of course, that this is a SSD-specific problem.

Data backups have the same problem, test 'em regularly or they may not
work when you need 'em most :-)

S.