Solid state drives

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 20:02:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:27:31PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On 20/4/10 16:52, David Cantrell wrote:
> >Very few people live in areas with flaky power, at least in the UK.
> I had a 5 minute power cut in SE26 two weeks ago and a cut lasting about
> an hour in EC1 10 days ago.

Huh.  Here in CR7, I think I've had two powercuts, total, in the 13
years I've lived here.

The only power-related problem I've had other than that was when my old
fridge died, and took the PSU for my G4 Cube with it.  Didn't lose any
data though.

> >Not, of course, that this is a SSD-specific problem.
> Data backups have the same problem, test 'em regularly or they may not
> work when you need 'em most :-)

If you haven't tested them, you don't have backups, you have hopes.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Feature: an incorrectly implemented bug