Damian Conway: Understanding Regular Expressions (properly)

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri Jun 25 09:59:04 BST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:23:48AM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On 25/06/10 01:25, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Dirk Koopman<djk at tobit.co.uk>  wrote:
> >>And fly there and back, have a nice holiday as well as catch all the other
> >>perlish things going on, together with accommodation and (probably) a fair
> >>amount of drink - all for less than the London price.
> >>
> >>Sheesh!
> >
> >Apparently it comes as a surprise to some that O'Reilly is a
> >for-profit corporation...

I think that it's more the surprise that there's such a difference in price
between the two venues.

Someone on IRC (also on this list) commented that an analogous course by
someone else last year commanded the same sort of fee. Note also that
Damian's isn't the most expensive course on offer in Pisa:

http://conferences.yapceurope.org/ye2010/training_courses.html

I'm guessing that everyone offering courses at Pisa are being paid way
below their usual commercial rates.

> We don't like to pay too much...
>
> :-)

I suspect also that they're aimed at different markets. The price at
YAPC::Europe might be intended to tempt individuals to pay for themselves.
(Or self employed contractors).

It's around the price that O'Reilly charges for OSCON tutorials, which I
guess can't be too high, as it needs to slip past budgetary sign-off as
a value-add to a conference, rather than a "how much?", and approval for
only the conference (or nothing). Whereas the one day price is stand alone,
so isn't fighting the main conference for budgetary attention. Which is
pretty much what Dirk was saying, albeit facetiously. :-)

Nicholas Clark