learning / training in java perl programmer?

Pedro Figueiredo me at pedrofigueiredo.org
Sun Aug 1 14:09:33 BST 2010

On 31 Jul 2010, at 19:32, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> I'm ordering head first java, mr bunny and effective java books in a
> minute and reading online tutorials and getting familiar with eclipse
> this weekend.

I liked Head First Java, and Effective Java is probably the best Java book out there. Sun's Java tutorials are pretty good (and their proposed coding standards actually make sense, imo): http://download-llnw.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

After using NetBeans until they dropped UML, and after a brief stint with IntelliJ, I too ended up with Eclipse. It makes up for the bloat with all the facilities and the time-saving it gives you (although I do miss IntelliJ's refactoring). I'd also recommend getting familiar with Maven.

Cheers,

Pedro