Running your own mini-cpan or other repos

Ashley Hindmarsh ash at best-scarper.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:42:57 BST 2010

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:45:46 +0100

> From: Leo Lapworth <leo at cuckoo.org>
> Subject: Re: Running your own mini-cpan or other repos
> To: "London.pm Perl M[ou]ngers" <london.pm at london.pm.org>

> On 29 August 2010 22:01, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 29 August 2010 22:00, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm working on a "smart mirror" catalyst web application and was
> >> wondering how many people use their own repos, mirrors and mini-cpans
> >> to get an idea of usage etc and if people would pay for somebody else
> >> to provide something like that for them?
>
> At $work we run our own mirror + our own Debian repo so we can
> control/manage updates.
>
> We're moving to using CPAN::Mini with the whole structure in git so we
> can always roll back if we want.
>
> We use CPAN::Mini::Inject to add our own packages.
>
> If we wanted a web interface we'd use CPAN::Mini::Webserver
>
> We then install from our CPAN::Mini into a local::lib dir (which again
> is in git so can be rolled back) and rsync that out to machines.
>
> I wouldn't want someone else managing this.
>
> Leo

We've currently got some vague requirement for a 'snapshot' for CPAN (not
the standard minicpan) to help us reproduce builds at a given time, getting
the 'current' version of a module at the time it was originally built,
probably in the short-term, rather than keeping a separate repository.

This is for applications built using shipwright where we bind the app and
supporting modules together with local::lib.

I've previously used a similar model to Leo (archived module tarballs, but
built without CPAN), with good results.

  Ash