Best practice for variables shared between processes?

David Cantrell david at
Tue Sep 21 13:53:33 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 09:13:19AM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Just make sure it is a move, not a copy, of the file; at least one developer
> around me has dropped in File::Copy::move when they got a plain rename refused
> because it crossed devices ??? so ended up copying the data in anyway.

stat both directories, check the device number. If they differ, do
something clever, like creating a temp dir in the destination, copying
to that, and then moving to the parent.

  On the bright side, if sendmail is tied up routing spam and pointless
  uknot posts, it's not waving its arse around saying "root me!"
      -- Peter Corlett, in uknot