FFmpeg/C developer

Dermot paikkos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:05:39 GMT 2010

On 19 November 2010 11:20, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:59:22AM +0000, Dermot wrote:
> [...]
>> There in lies the problem. I not aware of a London-based C list. I'm not
>> even aware of a reasonably active C list. I did tentatively ask about a C
>> list before, either here or on IRC and the perls of wisdom suggested the
>> list. It's far too off-topic for the jobs list though IMHO.
>
> Assuming you wish to post the job for free, GLLUG or perhaps uknot-jobs[0]
> would also be worth a punt. GLLUG is mostly cluebait, but you may get lucky.
> uknot people generally know their stuff, although it's worth noting that
> uknot-jobs has an unwritten rule that you should post the location and an
> indication of how much you want to pay if you don't want to be mocked
> mercilessly by the peanut gallery.
>
> Unfortunately, the person I know who has much expertise in beating the
> obscure corners of FFmpeg into submission, and would thus be ideal for you,
> already has a full-time job.

Well I think I should flesh this out a bit more in light of 1) Having
talked to the MD about what he actually wants and 2) a couple of bites
off-list.

It turns out that C isn't the big requirement I was initially thought
it would be. In fact this can all be done with the ffmpeg command line
and some judicious use of qx (or friends)

It's not a full time job, it's a project. We'll agree a price. We'll
also agree on a deadline once the requirements are agreed on after
that we'll sort out a login on to a dev server and you can login in
the evening, day time, while having a bath or from your local cafe
with free wifi (now where can a chap get a decent bacon sandwich from
around here).

As has already been mentioned, half the battle is getting the
libraries installed for the various codecs. After that it's simply a
question of providing a user-interface to take in some parameters,
executing the command and then 'content-dispostion:inline' firing the
resulting file back over the wire (or tarring the bugger if the user
is demanding).

Those that have emailed off/on-list, I'll get back to you once I have
a few more details.

Sorry to hog the list with boring work stuff, let get back to the burritos :-)
Dp.