Recommendation for simple Web Frameworks

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:58:44 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> So, it's been a while since I've done any kind of web stuff in Perl
> (although I was sitting behind Tatsuhiko when he was building the first
> Plack stuff so I'm at least aware of that).
>
> I want to build a web site. In Perl. It needs to be dynamic but it's
> unlikely to need a database - it will however be pulling data from
> another data store and putting stuff into job queues.
>
> In short - I don't really need the CRUD stuff from a framework, I really
> just need the url based dispatch. I played around with Catalyst (which
> I'm familiar with from 6A) but it felt like it was a bit of a
> sledgehammer and that it was (not unreasonably) tied to an ORM.
>
> Before I write my own (or repurpose one of the hundred previosu ones
> I've written) does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Running under Plack/PSGI[*] seems like a good idea so let's make that a
> requirement (although it seems like writing a Plack binding for anything
> takes 3 lines of code and magically makes your system run 30 times
> faster and gives you free unicorn ponies every hour on the hour to
> boot).
>
> Some sort of authentication/role system would be nice too. OAuth support
> too. Can these be done via Plack middleware maybe? It looks like it.

This is a recurring theme (for example:
http://twitter.com/#!/clkao/status/27613002311 ) - I remember
Tatsuhiko recommended against making it in middleware
(http://groups.google.com/group/psgi-plack/browse_thread/thread/af584fff9a6629aa)
- but maybe we could have something that is not a middleware - but is
still reusable between frameworks?

I am thinking about writing something that I could use in WebNano and
ideally I would do something reusable.

By the way - if you don't mind using something still very minimalistic
- then you might try WebNano.   At the core it is just 250 lines of
code and really few dependencies implementing Namespace Matching
(think Catalyst :Local dispatching) for PSGI/Plack based applications.

Cheers,
Zbigniew