Recommendation for simple Web Frameworks

David Precious davidp at
Thu Jan 6 22:20:59 GMT 2011

On Thursday 06 January 2011 19:04:13 Simon Wistow wrote:
> I want to build a web site. In Perl. It needs to be dynamic but it's
> unlikely to need a database - it will however be pulling data from
> another data store and putting stuff into job queues.
> In short - I don't really need the CRUD stuff from a framework, I really
> just need the url based dispatch. I played around with Catalyst (which
> I'm familiar with from 6A) but it felt like it was a bit of a
> sledgehammer and that it was (not unreasonably) tied to an ORM.

I was going to step in with a somewhat biased recommendation of Dancer, but
I'm happy to see that it's already been recommended :)

> Actually, since I'm being lazy - is there a good guide or an example for
> doing OAuth under Plack / Dancer / Plack+Dancer?

Not that I'm aware of, but there should really!

I think there needs to be a Dancer::Plugin::Auth::OAuth - I'll try to get
round to writing one as soon as I have a chance, but there's a fair chance
someone else might well do it in the meantime.

By the way, you'll find the Dancer dev team (and some users, too :) ) on IRC
in #dancer on if you want to ask questions quickly.

Dave P (bigpresh)

David Precious <davidp at>

  "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
  it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)