Shell-fu

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 15:34:45 GMT 2011

----- Original Message ----
> From: Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 09:59:10AM +0000, Mark Fowler wrote:
>
> > Of  course, this will totally screw with your ability to type "#" if
> > you're  using the UK keymap (which is normally Alt-3) but you're all
> > using the  US or Canadian key map anyway, right (So Shift-3 is # and
> > you can  easily, you know, program Perl)
>
> Sensible physical keyboard layout has  been available as a build-to-order
> option on Mac laptops in the UK for about  2 years now. eg
>
> http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MC516B/A

Which I didn't know when I bought my last MacBook Pro in the UK. I wound up
remapping a key and pretty ticket that Apple screwed up something so obvious
(ooh, but the shiny!)

Here at booking.com, they handed me a new MacBook Pro on day 1 and it has an
"non stupid" key layout. Seriously, has anyone ever heard Apple attempt to
justify this idiocy?

(Ooh, my bad ... being able to type "±" and "§" are sooooo useful that I'm just
overjoyed to sacrifice the "#" for them ...)

Cheers,
Ovid
--Live and work overseas - http://overseas-exile.blogspot.com/
Buy the book - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/