Any active Perl podcasts?

Steve Mynott steve at gruntling.com
Sun May 22 16:24:42 BST 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 02:02:10PM +0100, Peter Corlett typed:

> On 22 May 2011, at 13:46, Mark Keating wrote:
> [...]
> > They aren't podcasts but videos. Do you know of any software that can
> > auto-create the podcats from the flv files? Something that could be run on
> > the server and then we could just automate a podcast for that site?
>

> You could pretty much gut the interesting bits out of get_iplayer to obtain
> the raw video files. The rest is just a case of slotting bits of CPAN
> together in a pleasing manner. Since I'm CFT-enabled, I could roll together
> something suitable fairly quickly if you'd like.

Ah since the flv (at least the one I tried) already has an mp3 audio track
it's as simple as using ffmpeg (or libav or whatever it's now called)
to copy the audio track out.  No transcoding, no loss in audio quality and
no wait.

% ffmpeg -acodec copy -i Mark-Keating-I-heart-my-community.flv \
 Mark-Keating-I-heart-my-community.mp3

It might even work if your ffmpeg isn't linked against evil
freedom hating mp3 libraries.

--
Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com>