Any active Perl podcasts?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun May 22 17:22:24 BST 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 04:24:42PM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 02:02:10PM +0100, Peter Corlett typed:
> > On 22 May 2011, at 13:46, Mark Keating wrote:
> > > They aren't podcasts but videos. Do you know of any software that can
> > > auto-create the podcats from the flv files? Something that could be run on
> > > the server and then we could just automate a podcast for that site?
> > You could pretty much gut the interesting bits out of get_iplayer to obtain
> > the raw video files. The rest is just a case of slotting bits of CPAN
> > together in a pleasing manner. Since I'm CFT-enabled, I could roll together
> > something suitable fairly quickly if you'd like.
> Ah since the flv (at least the one I tried) already has an mp3 audio track
> it's as simple as using ffmpeg (or libav or whatever it's now called)
> to copy the audio track out.  No transcoding, no loss in audio quality and
> no wait.

Simply deleting the video is unlikely to work well unless the content
was specifically made to be audio only.  Consider how often a presenter
will point at something on a slide, or show a code example.  If you
really want perly podcasts, there's nothing stopping you from having
video content anyway.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE