ActiveMQ (was Re: Devel::Cover with Moose?)

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue May 24 10:53:08 BST 2011

On 24 May 2011 15:18, Toby Wintermute <tjc at wintrmute.net> wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 21:07, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.co.uk> wrote:
>> Back to fighting with ActiveMQ. Feh.
>
> By the way.. how are you finding ActiveMQ, especially when interacting
> with it from Perl?

Answering my own question a bit here, but I have now used ActiveMQ
with Perl via the STOMP interface to ActiveMQ.

1) I've already had to file two bugs with patches to AnyEvent::STOMP,
as it simply didn't work at all. This is possibly due to a stricter
parsing of STOMP by ActiveMQ than others.. I'm not sure.
It doesn't give me much confidence that anyone else is working with
both ActiveMQ and this CPAN module though!

2) The ACK system seems to be ignored by ActiveMQ.
I set "ACK"s to be manual, and then I am only sending ACKs for 50% of
the messages I receive.
I am setting the Receipt header in messages I send.

So, I expect that either
a) I will not receipt RECEIPTs for things I didn't ACK, or
b) The broker will resend messages that I failed to ACK.

Neither of these happen.
I receive RECEIPTs for every message sent, and un-ACKed messages are
not requeued.

Is that meant to happen?

Cheers,
Toby