ActiveMQ (was Re: Devel::Cover with Moose?)

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Wed May 25 10:02:27 BST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 08:19:07AM +0100, James Laver wrote:
> You mean apart from RabbitMQ? Rabbit is also the most full-featured of any of the free message queues I've come across.

Apart from HA, mesh networks and clustering. Rabbit is no where near prime
time for that yet.

> My personal experience of using ActiveMQ is "don't: it'll cause you
> headache after headache".

I don't do much with Net::STOMP (but it works for my basic cases) but we do
quite a lot with multi-dc resilient broker networks with clients in Ruby
and Java (and some perl) that RabbitMQ can't do using ActiveMQ.

If you have multiple locations or need solid HA modern ActiveMQ versions
are pretty much the best solution at the moment.

Plus most companies have more in-house JVM tuning skills than they do Erlang
runtime.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson