Part-time Perl Developer Position based Reading, UK

Richard Foley richard.foley at rfi.net
Thu May 26 09:05:09 BST 2011

I couldn't agree more that working remotely is something which suits some
people, and working an office is something which suits other people.  The
reasons can be varied, at the end of the day it's the results which count.
Those results might also include the opportunity for career progression which
is only ever going to be effective when one is in the office looking busy in
front of the manager, and actively being involved in multiple stand-up
meetings every day of the week.  There are different kinds of progress.

Speaking personally I can say that I have fewer distractions at my home
office, where I can concentrate on my tasks without having to engage in
peurile banter at the coffee machine, neither to I need to get involved in
office politics.  There are other benefits too.  However, remote working does
not mean walking the dog all day long and watching TV, but it does mean being
able to take the dog for a walk at any time of day instead of immediately
after having parked the car after a long day and two long commutes.  It's a
personal lifestyle thing and one should do (if one can) what suits one's
personality and inclinations, regardless of what most people did last year,
and the year before, and...

Finally, people often forget that remote working = working.

Ciao

Richard
--
Richard Foley