Part-time Perl Developer Position based Reading, UK

Richard Foley richard.foley at rfi.net
Thu May 26 11:21:58 BST 2011

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:05:09AM +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> > Those results might also include the opportunity for career progression
> > which is only ever going to be effective when one is in the office
> > looking busy in front of the manager, and actively being involved in
> > multiple stand-up meetings every day of the week.
>
> That's just silly.  Dilbert isn't the real world, it's a caricature.

Comedy can be a very effective way of describing real life.  I left a recent
job because it was insisted upon that I attend at least one 30 minute stand up
meeting every day of the week, plus other meetings.  There's more, but I won't
bore you.

> > Speaking personally I can say that I have fewer distractions at my home
> > office, where I can concentrate on my tasks without having to engage in
> > peurile banter at the coffee machine, neither to I need to get involved
> > in office politics.
>
> You're doing three things wrong there.
>
> First, and worst, you're using a coffee machine.  They're always shit.

In Germany that depends on the coffee.  There's some very nice stuff made in
little capsules which produce a really, really, nice cup of coffee.  A tad
pricey perhaps, but there you go.

> Second, you're engaging in puerile banter.  It can be avoided without
> being rude.

With you there.

> Third, you're paying attention to "office politics", whatever that might
> be.  I don't even know what office politics looks like, and I've never
> really noticed it.  Never, in almost 20 years of working.  Well, I
> probably have noticed it, it's just that I classify it as "stupidity" and
> "bitchiness" instead of "office politics".  If, like me, you're good at
> what you do, you don't need to do anything other than be good at what
> you do to get on with your managers and colleagues.  If your managers/
> colleagues are too fucking stupid to realise that, then other jobs are
> both available and better.

Indeed, see above.

> > Finally, people often forget that remote working = working.
>
> Yes, and for an awful lot of people having a completely seperate
> environment helps that.

That's why my home office is a seperate room where I can close the door and
concentrate. It also means I can leave the work in the office when it's time
for tea without spending an hour and a half in a traffic jam.   A seperate
environment is not an option, it's *crucial* for remote working, perhaps for
different values of seperate.

Ciao

Richard
--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than AufWiederSehen!

> Richard sent his original message both to me and to the list.  Please
> don't do that.  I'm on the list and don't want two copies.  Sending two
> copies is pointless and silly.

I think I hit "reply-all", which hit you twice.  I'll try very, very, hard not
to do it again.  Oh, if everyone were so sensible...