Cool/useful short examples of Perl?

Paul Makepeace paulm at
Tue May 31 00:23:49 BST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 23:20, lesleyb <lesleyb at> wrote:
> I had previous programming experience when I started learning Perl
> and I was quickly introduced to the 'unless' construct.  I confess
> to finding it both cute and entirely obvious.

Yeah, seriously. You know, if someone can understand a regular
expression then a word that behaves exactly the same way as they've
been familiar with since about age 2 shouldn't cause any problems.

I'm with Uri on showing what's going on - what excites programmers is
the stuff you can do with the language. Either that or they're
probably not programmers.

> If this is perl, then we've lost.

Er, Perl "lost" a long time ago.

import ConfigParser