Cool/useful short examples of Perl?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Tue May 31 04:52:24 BST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 23:20, lesleyb <lesleyb at herlug.org.uk> wrote:
>> I had previous programming experience when I started learning Perl
>> and I was quickly introduced to the 'unless' construct.  I confess
>> to finding it both cute and entirely obvious.
>
> Yeah, seriously. You know, if someone can understand a regular
> expression then a word that behaves exactly the same way as they've
> been familiar with since about age 2 shouldn't cause any problems.

Compared to regexes you are probably right. If regexes won't be
the primary show-case then let me point out, not necessarily to you Paul,
that there is a large part of the world that have not started with
English at that age.  They might have learnt English later but for many
'if not' or 'if !' is still much more familiar than 'unless'.
Unless they have a similar world in their mother tongue or mother
programming language.

Gabor
ps. My spell checker wants me to write 'learned' there.
I wonder which one of us is right and how many people out there know
the difference.

ps2. Your language is confusing. Let's program in Hungarian.