Perl under MacOS X

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Jun 2 10:05:00 BST 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:37:36AM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> Install Virtualbox or Vmware and use a linux perl.
>
> Much simplier in the long run than playing around with payware DVD sized
> downloads for gcc, case insensitive filesystems and the like.

$ date >Foo
$ uname >foo
$ cat Foo foo
Thu Jun  2 10:02:54 BST 2011
Darwin

Admittedly that's not the default - you do have to fiddle with the disk
partitioning to create a case sensitive file system. And gcc is on the
install DVDs. (And IIRC someone mailed here that if you did hard enough on
Apple's site you can find the download for the previous version of XCode)

I'm not sure what other "and the like" have been problems, since the switch
to dlopen() some years back. But everyone's mileage varies.

Nicholas Clark