Someone needs to take jwz aside...

James Laver london.pm at jameslaver.com
Fri Jun 10 09:10:49 BST 2011

On 8 Jun 2011, at 15:57, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> http://npmjs.org/
>
> I'm actually liking it more than CPAN for publishing and installing stuff. The only weak area is lack of search.cpan.org.

Sorry, but 'the CPAN' and search.cpan are pretty intertwined in the minds of people. The immediate reaction of someone who needs a module for something is to hit up search.cpan (or the new and lovely metacpan[1], thanks moritz!) and without that, it's a bit useless. All of that is of course aside from the newbies who haven't thought about what CPAN is beyond a searchable web interface and a client that installs modules (and for all they know, it's doing this off search.cpan).

/j

[1] http://beta.metacpan.org/