Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Fri Jun 10 14:25:39 BST 2011

Simon Wistow wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 10:57:56AM -0400, Matt Sergeant said:
>
>> I'm actually liking it more than CPAN for publishing and installing stuff.
>> The only weak area is lack of search.cpan.org.
>>

> My problem with npm is that it either tries to install stuff in some
> random directory in my home directory or suggests, with a straight face,
> that I chown -R $USER /usr/local

I think that has changed now with 1.0. Every install is into the current
directory now.

I think you'll find it is pretty close to bundler now. Though the
documentation is still lacking.

One really nice thing I like is if you're working on a project, you put
your dependencies into the "package.json" in your project directory, and
then just type "npm install" and it pulls in those dependencies
automatically and makes them available to that project (and only that
project).

Matt.