Where do we go to get good Perl/Catalyst/DBIC/Moose people in India?

Andrew Suffield asuffield at suffields.me.uk
Fri Jul 15 19:45:25 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:25:57PM +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> Maybe when you've trained people, you should pay them more, then
> they might stay...?

Observation: good software engineers don't usually have income at the
top of their list of priorities - they'll still leave for double the
pay, but probably not just for 10% - and if people are departing for
modest increases in pay then you have a more fundamental problem: they
don't *want* to work for you. Usually because your product and/or
workplace is boring and/or bad.

Now, consider that it is a manager's job to ensure that this sort of
thing does not happen, and retain staff. We can derive a general rule
of thumb for dealing with staff retention problems: find the most
senior manager in the company whose subordinates are leaving at a
higher than average rate. That person is likely to be the problem.