Perl e-commerce?

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Fri Sep 16 09:11:43 BST 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 08:23:26PM +0100, Sue Spence wrote:
> I am not an expert in this area but it seems to me that you are
> looking at one particular aspect of one segment of the "e-commerce"
> market and extrapolating far too much from that.  Some hypotheses have
> already been advanced as to why Perl might not be as competitive as it
> used to be in that arena. That doesn't mean it isn't used in medium -
> large - enterprise environments. I have certainly seen it in the last
> one.
>
> Furthermore, even if Perl no longer has a place in e-commerce, which
> isn't true*, I don't believe you could infer that Perl marketing
> efforts are a bad idea or doomed to fail or that Perl itself is
> utterly b0rk3n and needs somebody to hurry up and fix it.
>
> If I have misinterpreted your message then I apologise in advance.
>

> *Unless Venda has gone out of business :-)

No, I'm not talking about large enterprise environments. I'm talking
about what most web developers, even for larger media bureaus, tend
to use when their clients, for whom they've built a web site (in
PHP, C#/.NET, Python or Ruby) and find that if they weren't using PHP
or .NET to begin with, now they do so they can build a Magento system
or whatever for them (since I notice there are a good number of ASP/.NET
carts out there too, both free and paid). Because paid-for carts are
harder to sell to clients who point to the open source and
free-as-in-beer stuff and ask, "why not one of those?"

So yes, I'm looking at one particular aspect of e-commerce, the part
people in my job tend to interact with.

My own bosses here were looking very long at Magento but ultimately
decided they wanted m0aR control so even though we're using PHP we
ended up building Yet Another E-Commerce System. Lawlz.