Where are the Perl Wordpresses, the Drupals, the Joomlas? (was Perl e-commerce?)

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:41:05 BST 2011

On 16 Sep 2011, at 08:50, Zbigniew Łukasiak wrote:

> It's worth noting that Wordpress was at least initially perceived to
> be a 'free' answer to, then dominating, Perl based MovableType.
> MovableType is now GPL
> (https://github.com/movabletype/movabletype/blob/master/COPYING) - so
> why it did not gain back at least some of Wordpress popularity?
> Shared hosting is probably the main reason - but surely not the only
> one.

It didn't gain back popularity because it rebuilds static copies of pages and then for dynamic stuff, uses PHP (!!!). I've pinned all of my MT installs to version 4 to avoid the PHP and I live with the staticness (a feature, if you ask me) apart from having comments enabled (but posting a comment triggers a rebuild of the page, etc. etc.)...

Do note that MT does work perfectly fine in most shared hosting, however. You may also consider looking at melody, which will be ripe for use sometime around christmas (yes, that christmas), a fork of MT they're porting to using CGI::Application and generally giving a good clear-up.

/j