Perl in shared hosting environments

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at
Wed Sep 21 16:49:20 BST 2011

>>>>> "Dirk" == Dirk Koopman <djk at> writes:

Dirk> Reason include:

You forgot:

* My application only requires content generation, and I can completely
  ignore the other 14 phases of serving, because I don't want custom
  redirects, authentication, authorization, mime interpretation, and/or
  logging and other things written in the language of my choice: Perl.

Seriously... *nothing* can compete with mod_perl as far as its reach
into Apache.  *Nothing*.  With mod_perl, you can inject new behavior at
every level of decision making that Apache does.  FastCGI is replacing
just *one* of those 14 stages.

<merlyn at> <URL:>
See for Smalltalk discussion