Perl in shared hosting environments

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Sep 21 12:13:23 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:21:06AM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> * mod_perl processes seem(ed) to get bigger and bigger and need(ed)
>   to be killed every few 10s of requests to keep memory usage in
>   bounds. We needed many more (bigger) machines to run mod_perl v
>   other webservers and FastCGI.

This is why I stopped using mod_perl for CPANdeps.  By leaving no memory
for anything else, it actually made things slower than CGI.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

    [OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
    sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
    for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
        -- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery