Perl-friendly message queue-like system

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 16:17:53 BST 2011

On 22 September 2011 15:56, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:48:32PM +0100, Tomas Doran wrote:
>
> > There are other advantages of having a 'real' message queue ...
>
> I have yet to come across a situation where you needed a "real" message
> queue and can't just use a table in a database (replicated/clustered if
> necessary) with an auto-incrementing id.
>
> But then you have to use a "real" database that can scalably generate
auto-inc primary keys.
Historically, MySQL didn't until about a year ago.

Given the use case is for statistical reporting on what an app has been
doing, rrdtool does the entire job really simply with no need for any fancy
queueing software at all.
We used it to measure activity at BBC WS and it worked well.
We also used ActiveMQ which leaks memory and needs restarting unless you are
really careful how you configure and use it.

Regards, Peter