Perl Skills Test

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 17:10:00 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 06:00:26PM +0200, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> On 27 September 2011 17:44, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > Auntie is ALWAYS looking for perl people.  ALWAYS.
> Thing is, they only seem to pay market rates for contractors. I only ever
> see "Grade 7D" permanent Perl jobs advertised

Ignore that nonsense.  I did.

> > Send CVs to whoever the hell you know here, and they'll get passed
> > around to whichever group is hiring that week.
> Is it actually worth doing this for anybody who has any expectation of not
> taking a pay cut?

Yes.

> Maybe I've got this wrong, but I don't much like the idea of applying for a
> permanent job with little scope to negotiate the rate regardless of skills
> and experience, where (conventionally, without FOI requests) I don't know
> (until I get the inevitable low-ball offer) if it's even worth my time
> applying...

You say to whoever it is that's hiring "I have no idea what 7D means,
but I'm looking for Eleventy Million Pounds, is it worth our while to
continue?"

And you don't apply for a job.  You send your CV to someone you know,
they pass it around to whoever's hiring, who then contacts you to invite
you to an interview.

Well, that's what happened with me, anyway.  Both times I got a job at
Auntie.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza."
    "WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR BUCKET?"