Perl Skills Test

Peter Edwards peter at
Tue Sep 27 17:18:50 BST 2011

On 27 September 2011 17:00, Joel Bernstein <joel at> wrote:

> Maybe I've got this wrong, but I don't much like the idea of applying for a
> permanent job with little scope to negotiate the rate regardless of skills
> and experience, where (conventionally, without FOI requests) I don't know
> (until I get the inevitable low-ball offer) if it's even worth my time
> applying... I want to be wrong about this, please explain it to me?
> /joel

Next you'll be asking if the permies got a pay rise this year or if their
pension fund[1] didn't get raided.

*stands at a safe distance*

"FAT CAT BBC director general Mark Thompson and his executive directors are
pocketing cash from a “secret pension pot” while asking staff to accept cuts
in their own retirement packages.

A multi-million-pound “pension slush fund” allows Thompson and eight
executive board members the cash but the rest of the workers are excluded.

The revelation will infuriate the BBC <>’s
19,000 staff asked by Thompson this week to accept a one per cent cap on
their much smaller pensions <>."