Impending arrival

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Oct 4 10:38:43 BST 2011

On Oct 4, 2011 12:46 AM, "James Laver" <james.laver at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2011, at 22:04, David H. Adler wrote:
>

> > More importantly, I would like to have a mobile phone while I'm over. My
> > understanding is that I can pick up an inexpensive pay-as-you-go phone
> > for the duration. Is there any particular carrier you would recommend
> > (or, perhaps more importantly, would avoid)?
>
> For the amount of time you're here, it doesn't matter, really. Get a 3
sim, put 15 quid on it and you get "unlimited" internet though. As always,
make sure your phone supports the relevant GSM bands (I think all modern
smartphones ship with support for everything, anyway these days, though I'm
open to being corrected).

My 3-supplied UK HTC Desire isn't picking up 3G in the US so I'm stuck with
Edge (as, say GPRS would be). Not horrible, but still. By comparison my US
Nexus One picks up 3G on both sides of the Atlantic.

I'd second the 3 £15 SIM recommendation FWIW.

Paul