Implementing a Queue in a process

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 22 09:36:12 GMT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 08:23 +0100, Abigail wrote:
> My first idea is "named piped", but the devil is in the details.

A named pipe is a good solution. I've been using one for a specific task
for almost 11 years without any particular problems. There is a serious
drawback to this approach however - once you take something off the pipe
it is gone forever. If the process reading from it fails for whatever
reason you cannot replay the entries unless you have them logged
elsewhere. It's never been a problem for me as my purpose for using this
isn't too critical but for something important you either need a queuing
method that logs or another solution.

> You don't even write which "best" you are looking for.

Presumably the universal "best" - one in which someone else provides the
solution and it's already implemented in an easy to use manner at little
or no cost.